Giraldus Cambrensis (Gerald the Welshman), journeying through Wales in 1188 with Archbishop Baldwin of Canterbury on a preaching mission to secure
recruits for the Second Crusade under Richard the Lionheart, has left us our earliest picture of Cenarth. He describes the Church of St. Llawddog,
the mill with bridge and fish-lake, an orchard and a beautiful garden, all-standing on a narrow strip of land along the river Teifi and at the
service of the community. We know from Giraldus how the salmon leap was believed to have been hewn out of the solid rock by the hands of St. Llawddog
himself and that there existed on the rocks an extensive fishery, the Teifi even then being considered to be the best salmon river in Wales.